44th California Coast Wrestling Classic Dec. 27-28, 2012
Just wanted to make sure everyone got this info before you finish putting next year's schedule together. Last year's tourney was quite a crowd pleaser, so please let me know if I can answer any questions for any of you, ok?
Stay thirsty my friends,
PS- Weird calendar this year with Christmas being on a Tuesday...but at least we won't have to worry about FINAL EXAMS being an obstacle…and based on the Thursday/Friday date of our tourney, you may even get a chance to enjoy an entire weekend to yourself before the New Year’s holiday!
44th ANNUAL CALIFORNIA COAST WRESTLING CLASSIC
DATE: December 27-28, 2012
Thursday and Friday
TOURNEY WEBSITE: www.calicoastwc.com
ALL information for this event is available for you right now, including:ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION, team contract, hotel information with special tourney rates, etc.
The PAC CENTER
Aptos High School
100 Mariner Way
Aptos, CA 95003
*Located in Santa Cruz County, approximately 35 miles south of San Jose, 60 miles south of San Francisco, but only one block away from the Pacific ocean!
ONLY $300. for a 2-day tournament
-->Might very well be the cheapest entry fee for any 2-day tournament in California!
Please Make checks payable to: Aptos High Wrestling
64-man double elimination. Don’t worry, we utilize trackwrestling.com to keep
Thursday Weigh-Ins (12/27) are at 9am to support any teams that have to make a long drive. Wrestling begins 1-hour after the last wrestler weighs-in.
Friday Weigh-ins (12/28) are the typical 7am timeslot, with wrestling beginning one hour after the last wrestler weighs-in.
1. Top 8 - Champions receive trophies, wall bracket, and a T-shirt.
2. Placers 2-8 get custom medals from Hasty Awards Co.
3. 2 OW's (Upper and Lower)
4. Quickest Fall Award
5. Pat Lovell Character Award
6. TOP 5 TEAMS receive trophies…and FREE ENTRY into the following year’s CCWC tourney!!!
TOP 10 REASONS to put this tourney on your schedule:
1. Entry Fee is ONLY $300. for this 2-day event.
2. NEW MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR VENUE. The PAC Center at Aptos HS is only 4 years old, has an expansive lobby area, and a state-of-the art movie theater directly across the lobby of the main gym. Unlimited parking space, and much bigger than old tourney site at Scotts Valley.
3. MOVIE THEATER inside PAC CENTER. Last year, fans, coaches and wrestlers enjoyed a special screening of the critically acclaimed documentary entitled “Takedowns and Falls”. Many spectators seemed relieved to have the opportunity of giving theirs backs a rest in between rounds by taking in this fantastic portrait on high school wrestling. Once again, we’ll be presenting another hit documentary on high school wrestling this year throughout the 2nd day of competition. Featured film will be “Pinned”.
4. TOP 5 TEAMS receive FREE ENTRY into the following year’s California Coast Classic!!! Based on last year’s team scoring, each of these teams EARNED FREE ENTRY into this year's tourney: Elk Grove, Gilroy, Porterville, Atwater and Clovis.
5. SPECIAL COACHES GIFT. Last year, every Head Coach walked away with a NIKE California Coast Classic Dri-Fit workout shirt. This year, we are working on NIKE CCWC coaching polo’s for every head coach.
6. Host hotel just one block away from Seacliff State Beach (and one mile from event site). So, if you are from an area that doesn’t get to see the Pacific Ocean much, then holidays by the beach might be a cool way to build team camraderie.
7. COACHES SOCIAL held at host hotel immediately after the first night of competition. Complimentary libations and appetizers to coaches.
8. LIVE BAND (The Cradle Kings) will be playing once again just outside by the BBQ pit.
9. Longtime tournament director, and former U.S. Greco Olympian (’64) Pat Lovell will continue to provide his 30+ years of wisdom to the tournament in an advisory capacity to ensure that this is a well-run, top-notch tournament.
10. Possibility of bringing more than one wrestler per weight class to compete.
All in all, our ultimate goal is filled with aggressive simplicity…and that is to not just put on your ordinary high school wrestling tournament, but to create an atmosphere that leaves you saying “Wow, that was quite an event!”.
O.W. (Lower): Mason Pengilly (Porterville)
O.W. (Upper): Ben Landauer (SLV)
Quickest Fall: Alexander Rominger (Woodland) :07 seconds
Pat Lovell Character Award: Michael Lopez (Woodland)
2011 INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONS
106- Adrian Camposano (Central Fresno)
113- Arciga Alexis (Overfelt)
120- Mason Pengilly (Porterville)
126- Vincente Hernandez (Clovis)
132- Martin Ramirez (Elk Grove)
138- Sergio Enloe (Clovis)
145- Nicholas Villarreal (Gilroy)
152- Willie Fox (Gilroy)
160- David Jepsen (Central Fresno)
170- Scott Votino (Elk Gove)
182- Jesse Stoy (Summerville)
195- Ryan Ludwig (Elk Grove)
220- Ben Landauer (SLV)
285- Jaharee Taylor (Elk Grove)
2011 FINAL TEAM SCORES
1. Elk Grove A 353.0
2. Gilroy A 309.0
3. Porterville 211.0
4. Atwater 177.0
5. Clovis A 173.0
6. Castro Valley 172.5
7. Golden Valley 171.5
8. Summerville 147.5
9. Central (Fresno) A 132.5
11.King City A 129.0
12.Aptos A 108.0
13.Overfelt A 105.0
14.Marin Catholic 103.0
16.Clovis B 95.0
18.Pleasant Grove A 81.5
19.Santa Teresa 81.5
21.San Lorenzo Valley 77.0
22.Liberty (Madera) 67.0
23.Half Moon Bay 61.0
26.Del Mar 58.0
27.Central (Fresno) B 49.0
28.Fremont A 49.0
29.North Monterey County 49.0
31.Gilroy B 45.5
32.Silver Creek 45.0
35.North Salinas A 40.5
36.Elk Grove B 39.5
38.Willow Glen 38.0
40.Scotts Valley 30.0
41.Aptos B 27.0
44.Everett Alvarez 20.5
45.Fremont B 18.0
46.Pajaro Valley 16.0
47.Pleasant Grove B 13.0
48.North Salinas B 7.0
49.Santa Cruz 6.0
50.Soquel A 5.0
51.Soquel B 4.0
52.King City B 3.0
Last edited by Mariners Coach; 06-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Just in case you needed one more reason as to why this would be a worthwhile team-bonding event, then be sure to check out the following link. This world famous tourist spot in Santa Cruz is located just 10 minutes south of where the tournament is being held... http://www.beachboardwalk.com/
TEAMS CONFIRMED as of June 26, 2012 :
Bear Creek (New)
Bellarmine Prep (New)
El Camino (New)
El Dorado (New)
Grace Davis (New)
Mt. Whitney (New)
North Monterey County
Orange Cove (New)
South Lake Tahoe (NV) (New)
South San Francisco (New)
St. Francis (New)
Sutter Union (New)
Last edited by Mariners Coach; 06-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Reason: Updating Teams confirmed